January is a busy month for gyms, since getting into shape is a popular New Year’s resolution. For many, the gym is a space to enhance physical well-being, but injuries can occur even in the most controlled environments. If you find yourself injured at the gym, knowing the right steps to take is important for your health and, if applicable, for potential personal injury claims.
Here’s what you should do if you are injured at a gym:
- Seek medical help: Whenever you’re injured, seek immediate medical attention. Notify gym staff or management of your injury and request assistance if necessary. Your well-being should be the top priority.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photos of the area where the accident occurred. Capture any potential hazards, defective equipment or lack of safety measures. These photos can serve as valuable evidence later on.
- Report the incident: Inform gym staff about the incident as soon as possible. File an incident report, providing details about what happened, where it occurred, and any contributing factors. Keep a copy of the report for your records.
- Gather witness information: If there were witnesses to the incident, collect their names and contact information. Witnesses can provide statements corroborating your account of the events, which may be crucial in a personal injury claim.
- Preserve evidence: Preserve any evidence related to the incident. This may include clothing, footwear or equipment that was involved. Do not alter or dispose of any potential evidence that could be relevant to your case.
- Understand your rights: Familiarize yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a gym member. Review the terms and conditions of your membership agreement and any waivers you may have signed. Understanding these documents can provide insight into potential legal implications.
- Keep records: Maintain a detailed record of all medical treatments, prescriptions and out-of-pocket expenses related to the injury. This documentation will be valuable when pursuing a personal injury claim.
- Contact the gym’s insurance company: Notify the gym’s insurance provider about the incident. Provide a factual account of what happened and share any evidence or documentation you have.
- Consult the Law Offices of Tim Misny: If the injury was due to negligence, consulting with a personal injury attorney is crucial. Our firm can provide legal guidance, assess the viability of your claim and help navigate the legal process.
Discuss your accident with an Ohio personal injury lawyer
The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you with your accident claim. When you’re the victim of negligence or recklessness, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (877) 614-9524 so that I can evaluate your case right away.