Living with chronic pain is a uniquely difficult challenge. You might not “look” sick or in pain, but your health issues can cause you to miss work and other daily activities. Your mental health can suffer. Your doctor may not even diagnose the chronic pain, in favor of focusing on easier-to-solve issues.

The CDC estimates that about 50 million American adults live with chronic pain. How can you prove an “invisible” condition in order to recover compensation?

What is chronic pain?

Chronic pain can come in many forms. That’s why it can be difficult to prove in court. Patients may experience a broad spectrum of symptoms, including:

  • Muscle spasms or atrophy
  • Throbbing, stabbing or stinging localized pain
  • Pain throughout the entire body
  • Soreness, stiffness and tightness in muscles and joints
  • Unusual sensitivity to hot and cold
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Anxiety, depression and mental health issues

Chronic pain is a long-term condition which can affect all areas of a person’s life. Usually, the pain begins after an accident or workplace injury. Some patients may not realize the source of the pain until much later.

While chronic pain is “invisible,” it can be expensive. Medical treatments, mental health assistance, missing work and other consequences become astronomically expensive over the long term.

How to prove you have chronic pain

Even if your doctor diagnoses you with chronic pain, you may not be able to prove the cause in court. It can be difficult to establish a link between your symptoms and an accident that happens months or even years ago.

Ideally, if you’re injured in an accident, you should keep detailed records of the accident, your treatment, your symptoms and pain levels. This is often referred to as an injury or pain journal, which are frequently used in personal injury suits. Plaintiffs document doctor visits, prescriptions, where the pain is located and how the symptoms change day-to-day. Your attorney can use this information, along with your medical records and records of lost income, to establish a link.

However, failing to keep an injury journal isn’t always a bar to recovery. Your medical records, doctor’s testimony and other documentation may be sufficient. The best way to find out your chances of recovering damages is to talk to the Law Offices of Tim Misny. We’ll work with you to establish a link between your accident and chronic pain symptoms, so you can receive compensation.

Get help with your Ohio personal injury or workers’ compensation claim

Were you injured on the job, or as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness? Whomever is responsible, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Get in touch with me at 877-614-9524 so that I can evaluate your case as soon as possible.