For most Ohioans, driving is a necessity. Every time you’re out on the road, there’s a chance that you could be involved in a car accident. While you can avoid most accidents by following the rules of the road and defensively driving, it never hurts to understand what kind of accidents are most common.
Ohio is ranked among the 11 worst states when it comes to fatal crashes. In fact, “Traffic deaths increased nearly 20 percent nationally in the first six months of 2021 as compared to 2020. And there were 1,334 fatalities from crashes in Ohio in 2021, up 8 percent from 2020 and 15.5 percent higher than 2019.”
If you or a loved one were involved in a car accident, call the Law Offices of Tim Misny. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries and property damage.
How common are car accidents in Ohio?
As of May 2022, the Ohio State Highway Patrol and local law enforcement have investigated 18,988 crashes in 2022 alone—compare that to 19,047 in 2021 altogether. In 2021, there were 1,244 crash fatalities, and 1,356 traffic fatalities.
Although fatalities are statistically unlikely, there’s a fair chance that you could get into a car accident at any time. Taking precautions—such as using seatbelts, muting phone notifications and practicing defensive driving—can help. Knowing what to do when an accident occurs is even better.
What to do if you’re in a car accident
If you are in a car crash, follow these steps to ensure your right to compensation is protected:
- Call 911: Call law enforcement—if you suspect there are serious injuries, it’s best to call 911.
- Take photos: If your injuries allow, take photos of the scene and the vehicles.
- Write down your experience: Document everything you remember about the accident, with times and dates, in a notebook.
- Seek medical attention: Immediately see a doctor—some injuries may not manifest until hours or days later.
- Call a lawyer: Call the Law Offices of Tim Misny for help with your car accident claim. Working with a lawyer ensures that you get the best possible deal from the insurance adjusters.
Anyone can be involved in an accident at any time—but there’s no reason you should foot the bill for medical expenses someone else caused. Call our firm today to get help with your accident claim.
Discuss your case with an Ohio personal injury lawyer today
Have you been a victim of someone else’s negligence? When you’re injured, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at 877-614-9524 so that I can evaluate your case right away. We may be able to recover compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, lost wages and more.