When you’re involved in an auto accident, it’s wise to make a police report. Even if you’re not required by law to file a report (such as when there’s an injury requiring medical attention, death or more than $1,000 in property damage), they can prove useful when dealing with your insurance company.

However, mistakes happen, and not every police report is accurate. Because police reports are a crucial piece of evidence in accident claims, inaccuracies are cause for concern. Here’s what you can do to correct police report errors.

Factual errors

When officers get the facts wrong, from your vehicle make and model to where the accident happened, they may be willing to correct or add a supplemental report to correct the error. The best way to do this is to visit the station with a copy of your report and evidence to prove otherwise—be it photos, your vehicle registration or other information—and politely ask them to correct the error.

Typos and related errors

Sometimes officers simply write down the wrong information or make a typo when transcribing the report. Reaching out to the police officer in charge of the report and explaining the error may jog their memory. They may be amenable to rechecking their notes and/or filing a supplemental report to correct the issues.

Omitted facts

When an officer fails to include important information, that can also affect your claim. For instance, they may not include your injuries or vehicle damage. Having documentation of injuries and damage can go a long way toward securing a positive outcome with your insurance company or during a lawsuit, so it’s worth reaching out and asking them to include this information.

Talk to an accident attorney

Not every error can or will be corrected. If you’re concerned that this could negatively affect your claim—such as if an officer claimed you were traveling 95 mph in a 65 mph zone—talk to the Law Offices of Tim Misny as soon as possible. A skilled personal injury attorney can either work with law enforcement to have the report changed, or find other avenues to pursue justice on your behalf.

Although errors in police accident reports can be concerning, working with our firm can help you get the compensation you deserve.

Talk to an Ohio car accident lawyer today

The Law Offices of Tim Misny can help you with your auto accident claim and police report errors. When you’re the victim of negligence or recklessness, I’ll Make Them Pay!® Call my office at (877) 614-9524 so that I can evaluate your case right away.